Need to config O365 client to attach to local exchange server

Customer is using a Exchange 2016 server on a small network.  Everything was working great until they decided to install Office365 client on the Boss's workstation.  The Outlook client decided to set itself up as a remote to Office365 instead of directly to Exchange 2016.  The Office365 people are baffled but offer no solution other than to contact premier support.  Hesitant to install Office365 client on any other desktops
Dstp7334ISAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Tom CieslikIT EngineerCommented:
I think it must be something not 100% right with your local domain DNS.
Double check setting.
If your Exchange 2016 is inside your company make sure your internal DNS is pointing to your local exchange.
You did not specified what domain is register in your local network and if is different from public domain name, if yes, just simply create revers lookup zone with your:

exchange.domain.com
autodiscover.domain.com

in your local DNS and point A record to Exchange server in your local network
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Vasil Michev (MVP)Commented:
This is a new "feature" in Outlook that configures the Office 365 account with priority, if one exists of course. You can disable it by toggling the ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint key, as detailed here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3211279/outlook-2016-implementation-of-autodiscover
1
Dstp7334ISAuthor Commented:
I tried it but it didn't work.  The old exchange server was 10.0.0.251, the new one is 10.0.0.250 - autodiscover was set to the old server, I changed it to the new server and added the ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint key and am still not able to receive emails.  They are going to the exchange server but the O365 client is reading from the cloud
0
Dstp7334ISAuthor Commented:
I think it was originally a autodiscover dns record pointing to the wrong server.  I had to flush the records and re-register dns on the work station, then I had to go into Credential Manager and remove any references to o365 and it finally worked.,  This was a lot of hassle for what worked perfect in other versions of Office.  Thanks for the input.
0
Dstp7334ISAuthor Commented:
Thanks for all the help - there doesn't appear to be a lot of info out there and the O365 support team basically told me to buy premium support.  

I did add ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint and ExcludeHTTPRedirect to the autodiscover registry location, neither did anything and nothing worked until I fixed autodiscover and deleted the credentials
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.