Wifi range extender for iPad & Android phones

Currently in my home, due to a thick concrete wall, the corner when my bed
& reading desk is located can't reach the broadband Wifi even if I connect
a Vonets VAR11N repeater below to the Telco's Wifi router:

I then used a USB Wifi dongle plus a 6m USB extender cable to connect to
my laptop with dongle bypassing the thick concrete wall (with direct line-of
-sight to the router) & could now consistently get the Wifi signal:

However, for my iPad & my Android phone (which sometimes I read on the
bed), is there something equivalent to the Netgear dongle that I could use
with a USB extender cable?  Ideally one solution for both iPad & Android
instead having to buy separate solutions.

I ever seen a metal sticker which claims that once pasted onto the phone
will enhance the range of mobile phones' but lost that article : does this
work & can share an eBay/Amazon link to purchase?
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
I then used …..  a 6m USB extender cable to connect to....  my laptop with dongle bypassing the thick concrete wall

Is this an Ethernet cable to your Wi-Fi router?  

You can put a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite Dual Radio Access point at the end of the cable. It comes with a POE device (or may come separately now) that goes at your Wi-Fi router and allows the Ubiquiti device to service the areas beyond the concrete wall.

I have one here and it works great. Gives me W-Fi on the second floor of my home.
sunhuxAuthor Commented:
It's not an ethernet/LAN cable, just a usb female to male cable.  Distance from my bed to the wifi router is 20m.   Ubiquity solution is quite costly
sunhuxAuthor Commented:
My wifi router has LAN RJ45 ports.  Perhaps I can run a LAN cable to my room with device below connected?
A bit messy

Introduction to R

R is considered the predominant language for data scientist and statisticians. Learn how to use R for your own data science projects.

JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
If you can get the LAN cable to your room, that is half the battle.

Ubiquiti Access Points are the same / less expensive as wireless routers.
sunhuxAuthor Commented:
Think ubiq costs USD30 n above?

Well if I run a LAN cable to the room, my original Vonets solution we'd have worked n costs less than Meross or Ubiq devices
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
You can use your original solution. I like the access points because they allow any device to work. But if your solution above suffices for you, then use it.

Certainly running a LAN cable facilitates solutions.
sunhuxAuthor Commented:
My wifi router has been there almost 5 yrs.  comes bundled w my Telco's broadband
I would ask if HomePlug is a feasible solution in your location. Instant upside is the fact no wires need to be run. You could either get a kit that has wireless built in OR you could get a kit and attach an AP to it.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
sunhuxAuthor Commented:
Guess HomePlug is to connect network via power lines:
how do I verify if it works in my country Singapore prior to purchasing it?

It sounds neat : there's a power point next to my bed as well as next to
the Wifi router
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
You should go to the vendor website and ask that question. Seems unlikely someone from Singapore would be an EE member with that device.
sunhuxAuthor Commented:

The above uses UK plug: seems likely it could be used.  Do we get a pair (ie 2pcs) of it
ie 1 pc at the wifi router & another 1 pc at the user end?
HomePlug is a standard, not a device. There are a lot of HomePlug-certified devices out there.

Here's a link that may help you find and identify products available in Singapore: http://www.homeplug.org/products/products/

Do we get a pair (ie 2pcs) of it
ie 1 pc at the wifi router & another 1 pc at the user end?
That is correct. Some makers have kits that come with the pair.
sunhuxAuthor Commented:
I keyed in Aztech into link below as well as one of Aztech's product but nothing is returned:

Link above has a discussion in my home country in 2017: if I can get 50Mbits/sec, I'm
happy as I'm not using it to play games;  possibly some youtube videos (which is streamed
so it won't get laggy) on the iPad.

Above link recommends AV2: is this essential for watching youtube?
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
I don't think it is essential, but if the price is OK, get the higher speed unit.  You will be happier over time.
Above link recommends AV2: is this essential for watching youtube?
Honestly, probably not. However, when I decided to make use of it, I went ahead and ordered an AV2 kit because I just didn't want to take chances, and also be able to keep using it in the long run (bought a Netgear kit for a relative who likes to watch things on Youtube and Netflix).
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.