I have a single user who just got a new computer and now can't embed MS Word documents in the OLE field of my Access Runtime application. At first MS Office wasn't licensed, but we took care of that and still have the problem. I disabled click-to-run, turned off User Account Control, went into the Trust Center of MS Word and enabled All controls related to the ActiveX Settings, I also turned off Safe mode. I disabled all but the basic Add-Ins that are working fine on my system. We are going to test disabling Anti-virus tomorrow morning, but wanted to see if anyone could think of anything else that might be causing this effect. I can successfully embed other document types, like MS Excel Worksheets, WordPad document, but MS Word isn't allowing the Insert Object mechanism to embed a .doc or .docx file.
When Windows makes a shortcut Word icon on his start menu, it adds those two little arrows, like a compressed folder, not sure if that's related. Before Office was licensed, he had two little gears instead. He is using Windows 10 Pro, MS Office 2013 without the full MS Access and click-to-run was a background process, but killing that didn't help either.