We have to remediate a number of open shares on our Windows network. There are a significant number and I would like to automate the procedure as much as I can using VB.NET.
Without wishing to delve into the business background, the tasks I hope to automate are the creation of a group object in AD, adding users to the group, the removal the Everyone group permission from each share, and then adding a new group permission to the share. So, the steps are:
1. Audit the access to the share and see which users and groups are accessing the share and the sub-folders (this task is done using Varonis)
2. Create a list of users that have implied access to the share via the Everyone group (this task is done using VB.NET examining the CSV reports from Varonis)
3. Create a group and add the user from step 2 (this task is done using VB.NET)
4. Grant access to the share for the group created in step 3 - to do
5. Remove the Everyone group from the share - to do
I have written the code for steps 1, 2 and 3, the problem I have is how to figure out how to connect to each identified share, remove the Everyone permission and add my new group and the required permission - I don't know how to do it. This task is compounded by the fact the the shares are on NetApp filers too!
Can anyone help me with VB.NET examples of how to access a share on a server, remove the Everyone permission and add a new permission for my newly created group please?