troubleshooting Question

Waiting for idle_blocker which we cannot find

Avatar of Cyprexx IT
Cyprexx IT asked on
* Extended EventsMicrosoft SQL Server
6 Comments2 Solutions76 ViewsLast Modified:
We have been seeing long wait times at random intervals throughout the day.  When we dig into these waits, it always seems they are being caused by an idle blocker (as we have discovered through DPA as well as some extended events.)  The problem is, once we realize this has happened, it's already too late.  The SPID that was causing the idle blocking is closed and we cannot determine what was running.  We have some extended events set up that give us a bit of information about the SPID (such as the call stack, duration, wait_resource, and wait_type) but none of this tells me exactly what stored procedure, query, or other process was running.  

Does anyone have a recommended way to store all information about past SPIDs, or any other advice on how to deal with this going forward?  At this point, I'm not worried about necessarily finding out what's happened in the past (though that is welcomed as well,) but how to get this information stored going forward so I can refer back to it.

Our community of experts have been thoroughly vetted for their expertise and industry experience.

Join our community to see this answer!
Unlock 2 Answers and 6 Comments.
Start Free Trial
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 2 Answers and 6 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros