I'm in the midst of moving one of our clients to AWS and I am looking for some assistance.
Their current setup is they have 3 servers on site:
1. Active Directory, File Services, Print Server, User Profiles, DNS
2. RDP / Citrix server
3. Windows 7 computer running indexing software for document management solution
I have already migrated all of their servers to AWS. I plan on leaving a domain controller on site as well as a print server.
AWS is connected to head office via a VPN tunnel.
The subnet at head office is 192.168.70.0/24 and the subnet in our AWS VPC is 172.16.0.0.
My questions are:
1. Would best practice be to host DNS on Route 53 (AWS), on our cloud based or on prem?
2. Is it practical to have Roaming Profiles from a cloud based file server? In anticipate this will significantly slow down login times.
3. When we move the domain controller from on site to the cloud how do we update DNS records so workstations and servers are authenticating against the cloud based DC? I'm not certain if the SRV record has to be changed.
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.