troubleshooting Question

CAS degraded, attempting to migrate mailboxes

Avatar of ccroasmun
ccroasmun asked on
StorageExchangeInstallation
14 Comments1 Solution108 ViewsLast Modified:
I have a unique issue here and I am no understanding autodiscover and outlookanywhere config enough to get around it.

I have 2 sites with 1 Exchange 2013 box with all roles in each as my production environment. It is fully configured and functioning externally and internally.

My box at the primary site(second site is not internet facing) is sitting on a clustered storage space which is degraded and will not rebuild on the replacement disk, backup attempts crash the cluster disk so day by day data is further compromised by the minute.

My only choice was to attempt to install another box in the primary site and move the mailboxes.

I have deployed a new bow (Exchange 2013 CU21 all roles) and moved my mailbox for testing successfully. Internally everything functions fine for my account, externally autodiscover, owa, outlookanywher do not work.

I dont' seem to be visualizing the proxy functionality correctly or have made changes on the new CAS which is breaking the functionality.

Current config is as such:

= Have changed nothing on the degraded primary site server or the remote sites CAS/Mailbox server
- This may be where I screwed up, but it tested fine internally so I thought the changes had no affect due to the proxying
          - Changed all web services URL's on the new primary site machine to match the degraded machine in preparation for the cutover after the mail box moves were completed.
                    - eg. degraded server autodiscover is mail.domain.com and new server is mail,domain.com for both internal and external (I am running split DNS) I am thinking this tested ok internally due to the outlooproviders and this may be the issue
- One other point is the Outlookproviders, when moving from 2007 to 2013 I struggled and probably fat fingered around to get this up. I have noticed in troubleshooting this that the providers have been changed from default setting and are hard coded to the SCP name (mail.domain.com)

Just need some clarification as to how this should actually be set up during this disaster migration phase to get all web services functioning for external users on the new box until the degraded server is decommissioned.

eg.What should the URL's be on the services of the new server (internal and external), does this second server need a public natting during this interim period or will the proxy functionality cover things, I have not nat'd it, was planning on just repointing the existing nat has the final step. Have I caused this issue by changing the outlookproviders…...etc.

Thanks in advance, hung out to dry here and cannot start the migrations until internal and external client functionality is working.

Chuck C
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
ccroasmun

Our community of experts have been thoroughly vetted for their expertise and industry experience.

Join our community to see this answer!
Unlock 1 Answer and 14 Comments.
Start Free Trial
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 1 Answer and 14 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros