Doing some cleanup around the house. Realized I have 3-4 PC's sitting around only used for clients who refuse to update older machines. I keep the older software on them for those special situations. I also have large hard drives on them. I thought it might be a good idea to do one of a few things. Your wisdom appreciated other than the obvious throw them away!
- Salvage any and all components HD's Wireless Adapters Graphics Cards USB etc. I am guessing that some of the HD should work universally right?
- Move some of them over to a new modern Motherboard 64 bit with more horsepower RAM performance. ( I realize that the problems I may run into are compatibility, non-supported drivers OS issues and probably BIOS stuff. )
- I was thinking by consolidating some of the data I might be able to get some more use like backup space etc.
- Take the hard drives and create some kind of file server and or printer server with a machine or two.
Out of Curiosity, I was wondering since several of these have older OS's on them would it be of any value to keep a few older OS with software that works with it Crystal Reports Business Object Enterprise. Tableau Desktop on some of them. Is it possible to put them on a box that at StartUp allows me to pick and choose what OS I startup with?
- One - XP, 2 HD
- Two - Vista for Business, One - Win 7 Pro
- One - 2012 Win Server Dell PowerEdge 830. Can Windows 2016 Server be obtained for low cost in developmental purposes? Used to have Biz Spark.
I have worked with some larger databases in the past hence all the HD space. Now working with Tableau & Power BI Dashboards. New data sources best suited locally and offline is coming in. So any thoughts on what I might be able to do to get any usage is much appreciated. Thank you.