MS licenses for VMware HA configuration


I'm planing VMware HA configuration and just wondering if I need 2 x of MS licenses to restart the VMs on the surviving host when the primary host fails.

Also planing to get MS data center licences for 1 host to cover all VMs.

Please advise.

Best regards,
Chanaka SrinuwanIT Director Asked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Lee W, MVPTechnology and Business Process AdvisorCommented:
NON-OEM licenses allow for one transfer to another physical machine every 90 days.  Therefore, it is theoretically possible that you could buy one data center license and run your VMs in a cluster that does not transfer the VMs to the other server UNLESS of catastrophic failure.

HOWEVER, most clusters are designed and intended to allow you to easily switch VMs between hosts for hardware maintenance, load balancing, host updates, and similar tasks.  Should you only get one license, you will have tremendous difficulty remaining compliant AND performing these functions.

In general, if you're going to cluster, you want all cluster hosts capable of hosting all VMs at all times from both a hardware and a licensing standpoint.

Licensing Disclaimer
License information provided here is "best efforts".  The comments of the respondents are based on interpretation of the license agreements and their knowledge of the particular laws and regulations in their geographic location.  Laws in your location may invalidate certain aspects of the license and/or licenses can change.  (For example, at least one major nation's laws allow OEM licenses to be transferred to new hardware). "They told me on Experts-Exchange" will not be a valid excuse in an audit.  You need to contact the license granting authority to confirm any advice offered here.
Andrew Hancock (VMware vExpert / EE Fellow)VMware and Virtualization ConsultantCommented:
Answer is Yes!

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Server OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.