I have a client who is trying to use the merchant center in quickbooks premier 2018. Quickbooks uses the I.E. browser within it's program so if there are issues with I.E. then there will be issues inside of quickbooks where it is accessing the Internet. There are a few issues with Internet Explorer that I believe are keeping it from working correctly. I think once we resolve the I.E. issues, the rest will take care of itself. The system was just upgraded from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro version 1903. Internet explorer is exhibiting some strange issues. On a simple page like msn.com, graphics do not show. A black box (w/o a red x) shows in place of the correct graphic. Accessing the merchant center via I.E. will initially display page info but once you click on one of the options, it moves to the next screen and generates a black box that would be where the detailed information would be. I have attached a copy of how it looks on a working version of I.E. (my computer, windows 10 pro 1803, i.E. 11 vs the non working verson on windows 10 pro 1903, i.E. 11.
I have removed I.E. on that computer via the windows features and reinstalled it. I have done a reset on I.E. and the advanced option on the advanced tab on I.E. settings. I have checked the media settings and it is set to show images. During the uninstall, I also deleted any I.E. info from the appdata folder for any users.
I have tried it both clean (to check websites like msn) and with the program requirements for quickbooks. Both sets of setting give the same results.
I do not know if I.E. was working before we did the upgrade to windows 10.
I'm not sure what other details to provide. If you need more info, please let me know. I hope that someone has some ideas on how to resolve this problem.
Thanks for you help with this issue.