Is there a Chrome extension that prevents me from navigating away from a page when I'm typing a comment?

Kyle Santos
Kyle Santos used Ask the Experts™
I work on Azure Devops.  I was typing a comment on a ticket and somehow the placement of my cursor on the toolbar area activated a button which then navigated me away from the page I was typing in.  I did not get a warning 'are you sure you want to leave this page' and lost everything I was typing.  Basically, I was typing a comment and the button activated and the page navigated away as I was typing.  It was really weird and I don't know how to reproduce the issue.

I'm looking for a preventative tool so hopefully this doesn't happen again.  Does Chrome browser have an extension that can be used to prevent this sort of thing from happening?  Can it be defined by website url?  I obviously don't need it to stop and ask me if I'm ok from navigating away from every single page I'm viewing or working on...just the ones I'm typing and haven't posted my comment yet (ie Azure Devops).

Thank you.
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
i have done this often (especially when adding comments on E-E). i have never heard of an extension like that...

what you could do is use a simple text editor for long comments then cut & paste when done!

i think that it would have to be in the back-end of the page
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)
Most Valuable Expert 2012
Expert of the Year 2018

Join the club. This happens to me when EE goes down momentarily.   Same result
Kyle SantosSoftware Test Analyst I at Dassault Systemes


Yeah, I guess I just need to use Notepad++ or a gdoc and copy paste into my comment on Azure Devops is the way to go.  Thanks.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial