I am looking to build an alternative to Zapier "zap" using a digital ocean droplet. Can anybody recommend a technology? The first thing that comes to mind is Node.js or PHP. Zapier is great, and we love it, however we are now being asked to processes files with up to 10,000 lines per file per month. This brings our zapier bill from @20 per month to $300. I would like to have a webHook online with custom URL. (myDomain.com/myWebHook)
our zap is very simple:
* push FirstName, LastName, Email to a webook
* add the user to a mail chimp list
* add the user to a wordPress memberPress subscription
* send the user a custom welcome email from an office 365 account
There are a few reasons it might make sense to build our own integration tool:
1 ) if we are going to get 10,000 items to process every month or so, it it much nicer to just budget $50 per month for an AWS or Digital Ocean VM
2 ) During the memberpress user create, then add to the correct subscription, the smallest time pause that Zapier allows is 1 minute. When we are processing 10K of new users, this can extend out for quite some time. It might be easier to have the ability to control down to a 15 second wait time.
3 ) I am not sure how zapier runs each zap, but during the memberPress adds it might be nice to know they are all running in serial. I often wonder if zapier runs them in parallel. We frequently get DB timeout errors when the zaps are running.
What I am looking for is advice on the following:
* What is the right technology to use for this? (PHP / node.js / something else?)?
* What are some good resources where we can start building these skills (books / udemy videos/ ??)?
Thanks in advance experts!