We recently migrated a lot of users from one domain to a new domain using profwiz. This tool was great, however, one thing that we're coming across is an issue with authenticating fully into office. When the user authenticate after the first credential pass, it prompts again and then errors out to:
"Your computer's Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned"
"Error code: 80090016"
"Keyset does not exist Keyset does not exist"
Then the app is fine whether it's Outlook, Excel, Word, etc...
Where the big issue arises is in OneDrive because that leverages cached credentials and syncing can get very wonky under these circumstances.
This also appears to be profile specific (specific to the profile that was migrated to the new domain) as any new user can log in to the machine and Auth and TPM works fine.
I've tried clearing TPM, resetting TPM and deleting TPM.
I've tried the EnableADAL regfix and that doesn't work (I also don't want to employ this as it is a hack workaround and not a fix)
I also came across renaming the following folders to no avail:
This problem is killing me and if someone knows of a bullet proof process to get this sorted out you'd be forever idolized here!