I am considering which Laptop to purchase. Here are the questions I can come up with for now. This will be a machine I travel with. Should be durable, lightweight, long battery life, quiet, not hot. Some processing power needed for extra large Excel files and VBA macros; some Photoshop image or photo editing, and some Camtasia or other video editing; Some software development with API development environment; May need for ROS2 robot simulator on Linux OS.
I AM NOT A GAMER.
THIS IS ON SALE for Pre-Black Friday Special
1. HP Pavilion - 15z - What has your experience been?
2. HP Phone Tech Support & WARRANTY RETURNS - What has your experience been? I've seen LaptopMag review of tech support not as good as others, 28 out of 40. They are only open until 9pm weekdays, 6pm Sat & Sun which isn't ideal for my work hours (mostly nights).
3. Seems like a great discount this week until ship date of Dec. 16th.
4. AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700U (2.3 GHz, up to 4 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + Radeon™ Vega 10 Graphics
- Will the Ryzen 5 3400 be more than adequate? What is the Ryzen 7 3700 going to help with?
- HP site shows these as only 4 core CPU's. Elsewhere, I saw them as 6 and 8 core? see: UserBenchmark dot com
5. Is the upgrade to 512GB NVMe M.2 worth $150 upgrade from the 256GB NVMe M.2? or would Samsung-970-EVO-500GB be better at $90 from elsewhere? I wonder if there are two slots, one for OS boot, and one for data storage.
6. How cool or hot does this run at lower speeds? Fan noise?
7. Is there an easy way to toggle on and off the mouse touch pad?
8. HP Shows these Ryzen CPUs available: Which is better for battery life and runs cooler?
AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500U (2.1 GHz, up to 3.7GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)+AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics
AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700U (2.3 GHz, up to 4 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + Radeon™ Vega 10 Graphics (add extra $100)
9. Battery evaluation?
Discharge time, 7 hours optimal. Seems low. Any suggestions?
How much does it weigh? 4.27 LB
Is the SATA drive available only with the option that comes with the 1TB HDD + 128 SSD.
Windows 10 Home 64
16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2x8GB)
15.6" diagonal FHD IPS BrightView micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080)
256 GB or 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD (or 128 GB NVMe with 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA)
HP 3 year w/Accidental Damage ($120 - 3 years, Includes phone support)
3-cell, 41 Wh Lithium-ion prismatic Battery
No DVD or CD Drive
Full-size island-style backlit keyboard (color of backlight?)
HP Wide Vision HD IR Camera with Dual digital microphone
802.11ac/b/g/n (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo