I need help in deciding path forward for our MS Access database.
Recently my old company was bought out by another and the new company changed the network topography. They removed network drives and went completely cloud base. We are using OneDrive platform. OneDrive does not support MS Access functionality at all. I cannot share our MS Access database with multiple users, because OneDrive replicates back-end for every user that links to it. so I needed to place back-end on every user’s computer. As result, I have several versions of the back-end and we do repeat inspections as result.
I am looking for a way to solve this problem, but also a good path forward with MS Access database, and I need your advice.
I have considered the following things:
1. Use a virtual server to host our Access database
2. Install MS Access 2010, change database to web apps and then host it on an older SharePoint server.
3. Use an SQL server, and migrate MS Access back-end to SQL or AZURE and somehow link it to the front end. I read about this online, but not sure how much work will be involved.
4. Completely redesign the database to SQL version or other version
5. Leave as it is and deal with it.
The company is willing to pay for the hosting, but I am also looking at path forward and future of this database. Its quite developed and very useful for many personnel.
I need your expertise advice since you all know ins and outs of other databases.