Hi -- I'm setting to set up a home AD network. Got two computers (so far) and have installed AD and DNS on the server.
Problem: When I try to add the client to AD, I get the error: "An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain, "the shire.local" could not be contacted. The error was: "DNS name does not exist." (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
I did install DNS on the server, and added a reverse lookup record for the client (10.0.0.2) Details:
1) AD Domain = theshire.local
2) Domain Controller (WinSrv2019) = Gandolf
3) Client (Win10) = Frodo
4) Both Gandolf and Frodo connect to the Internet via an xFinity router.
5) On the router, I created static IPs for both computers:
- Gandolf (WinSrv2019) = 10.0.0.10
- Frodo (W10) = 10.0.0.2
- Router (xInfinity default IP) = 10.0.0.1
Should I drop back and punt...and set the IP for the Server to 192.0.0.1 and 192.0.0.2 for the client and just use a private network? If so, how would these computers be able to connect to the Internet for updates? I could add the router's IP as the Gateway...