We have a workstation that is receiving *some* emails and is displaying nothing in the body of those emails.
It's using Microsoft Office 365 Outlook.
The email service is hosted by our ISP. The full text shows up in their webmail interface should we choose to go there.
I can forward "blank" messages from this workstation to *me* and the text shows up. This suggests that the text is available on the errant workstation.
Yet, if I reply with those messages BACK, the body in my email is blank at the workstation in question.
I have repaired Office.
I have checked formats.
Since this is only for certain messages, I'm stumped!!
We recently transitioned to a Domain network from peer-to-peer and the user has reported that's when this started happening. I think we've agreed that this is a coincidence but I mention it only for completeness here.