We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Exchange licencing

Comp_support asked
Hello people,

We have a customer currently running exchange 2010. We are planning to migrate to exchange 2016 (since cannot coexist with exchange 2019) and configure DAG.

We would like to know what licences we will need. For exchange servers and CAL's.

There are around 200 users-mailboxes and 5 mailboxes which will be reduced to 2 mailboxes finally by moving mailboxes.

Thank you !
Watch Question

Lee W, MVPTechnology and Business Process Advisor
Most Valuable Expert 2013

You need 1 Exchange Standard CAL per HUMAN BEING - not user account, not mailbox - who will access the server.  If you want to use Enterprise features, you need to get Enterprise CALs for each HUMAN BEING who needs Enterprise features.

Enterprise CALs do NOT replace standard CALs - if a person needs Enterprise features, they need BOTH Standard CALs AND Enterprise CALs.

Licensing Disclaimer
License information provided here is "best efforts".  The comments of the respondents are based on interpretation of the license agreements and their knowledge of the particular laws and regulations in their geographic location.  Laws in your location may invalidate certain aspects of the license and/or licenses can change.  (For example, at least one major nation's laws allow OEM licenses to be transferred to new hardware). "They told me on Experts-Exchange" will not be a valid excuse in an audit.  You need to contact the license granting authority to confirm any advice offered here.


ok, we ll have to check with them what they need to do.

regarding exchange servers ? I need 2 licences for exchange 2019 std to support DAG or we need enterprise ?
Technology and Business Process Advisor
Most Valuable Expert 2013
You should be able to do it with Standard, however, yes, you need TWO Exchange licenses as you'll have two servers running exchange.


Thank you very much. It's clear now !