We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Need Help with MP3Tag Program

I have a file containing 50 or 60 mp3 tracks. I need to manually add a new field in the MP3Tag working screen when the file is loaded, so that I can physically enter a specific number....but I can't seem to use MP3Tag's usually easy to use controls to create a column, name it, and do the work.

What am I missing?
Comment
Watch Question

Bill PrewTest your restores, not your backups...
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Expert of the Year 2019
Top Expert 2016

Commented:
If I understand the question, this should help.



»bp
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Most Valuable Expert 2013

Commented:
Not sure Bill's link is quite what you need but you can add a custom field in MP3Tag as described in that link.

View > Customize Columns > New

Check Numeric

Enter a name for the new field

As described in the link above call the Value and Field "%custom1%"

Use the Move Up button to put your new field below Filename (so it appears first in the Tag listing after the Windows filename)

Click OK to set the field

Now you need to edit the individual files!

NB: The big drawback with this is that the field is only available for MP3Tag to use,  Windows can't see and won't use it as it's not part of the ID3 standard.

You might find it easier to rename all your ID3 Title fields using MP3Tag's Actions menu

To try this out, copy a couple of dozen random tracks into a folder and open MP3Tag browsing this folder

Now select all the tracks (Ctrl+A)
Choose the Action Menu > Actions (Quick)
Choose Format Value
Choose Title as the field to alter
As the format string use $num(%_counter%,3) - %title%
This will add an incrementing number with three digits including leading zeros with space,hyphen,space followed by the current title

So your files in the folder will be numbered in the order they are listed from 001 to the last file in the list.

So lots of possible solutions, we just need to fit one to your situation.
RadioGeorgeOwner/Programmer

Author

Commented:
It appears that the problem may be deeper than  what I have described here. I have tried to modify the file headers and nothing is working. This makes me think that the tracking program that was custom-built for the site is what needs to be modified and that is something for my main site coder to address.

I changed the column name as MASQ writes with no problem, but when I look at the tracking program, that header does not appear, so it must be more complex than I originally thought.

However, I will leave this question open until I hear from my coder to make 100% sure. I'll post as soon as I have heard from him.
RadioGeorgeOwner/Programmer

Author

Commented:
It seems I may need someone who can make the changes needed, involving HTML programming and integration with  the existing setup to produce a downloadable file for my use (in very simple editing) in an Excel file for ultimate submission on a monthly basis to the licensing agency that requires this data.

I have tried to make what appear to me to be the small changes involved but don't seem to  be able to do it. I stopped experimenting  to avoid messing up the existing setup.

Anyone interested in this as a freelance project?
RadioGeorgeOwner/Programmer

Author

Commented:
I know it's taken a while, but I did not let this situation go. I found my answer thanks to a sharp freelancer (in Indonesia who had the unique combination of expertise in website architecture, Excel familiarity and HTML who analyzed the problem, modify the Excel files and write a program to allow entry of new data to the database (by any freelancer) without any danger of unintentionally screwing up any other part of the website.

Yes, this turned out to be a little deeper than I projected, but the problem is solved and work goes on.
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Most Valuable Expert 2013

Commented:
Good to hear, thanks for the update :)
Bill PrewTest your restores, not your backups...
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Expert of the Year 2019
Top Expert 2016

Commented:

Owner/Programmer
Commented:
See my previous note.