We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Installing Remote Desktop Services Role on Server 2019 Std. Error

atsanders
atsanders asked
on
Installing Remote Desktop Services Role on Server 2019 Std. Hyper-V Guest.
1. Role is installed via Remote Desktop Services installation --> Quick Start --> Session-Based Desktop Deployment.
2. Remote Desktop Services Role installation completes successfully
3. Session Collection installation failed with following error: "Failed: Unable to create the session collection. The property UserAuthenticationRequired is configured by using Group Policy Settings. Use the Group Policy Management Console to configure this property."  (Screen shot below)
4. I tried configuring the following Group Policy with same result:  Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Security\Require user authentication for remote connections by using Network Level Authentication: Enabled

Server-2019-RDP-Role-Error.png
I'm not sure if this is correct GPO to modify. I'm at a loss. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Please let me know if you need additional information. Thanks! Chip
Comment
Watch Question

Technical Architect - HA/Compute/Storage
Commented:
Change the Group Policy setting indicated to NOT CONFIGURED.
GPUpdate /Force on the soon to be RDS.
Install should work as expected.

NLA (Network Level Authentication) is not the one its complaining about. It's the one that requires username and password.

Don't set any GPO settings until after the RDS setup is complete.

For Single Sign-On you are going to want Prompt for Password to be set to DISABLED for your Session Hosts.

Author

Commented:
Good morning Philip,
Thanks for taking time and detailed response. I made the NLA change as part of my initial troubleshooting steps. I changed GPO back to Not Configured. Unfortunately, receiving same error.

I should have stated in initial question, The DC is Windows 2019 Std.. DC was migrated from SBS 2011. I'm thinking a GPO from SBS 2011 may be causing error. However, I'm unable to locate a NLA object not set to Disabled.

Please let me know if you have additional thoughts & Thank you!

Author

Commented:
Hi Philip,
Update....   Issue resolved. I did find GPO from SBS 2011, (Windows SBS Client Policy) NLA "was" set to Disabled. Changed to Not Configured. All good. Thanks Very Much for assistance sir!
Chip