Avatar of Paul Vanatsky
Paul Vanatsky
Flag for United States of America asked on

Exchange 2013 Cu install fails at client server role install

Single Exchange server  2013 preparing to move us to Office 365 via hybrid .  The other night I attempted install of CU22 and it failed at Client Access Server Role. I should have posted here sooner been trying to work through this and have fixed most of the errors it reported except the ones below.
Last time I checked - yesterday , all services were operational server component states were active [I put it in maintenance mode when doing the upgrade]   Mail is coming in but can't access via owa or outlook.
Below is Error Log from last upgrade attempt , it references the owa calendar pool app, I recreated the owa virtual directories but no joy. I appreciate any help you can offer

.  Mailbox role: Client Access service                       FAILED
     The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
          Update-OwaVirtualDirectory -DomainController $RoleDomainController;
          $BEVdirIdentity = $RoleNetBIOSName + "\OWA (Exchange Back End)";
          set-OwaVirtualdirectory -Identity $BEVdirIdentity -FormsAuthentication
:$false -WindowsAuthentication:$true;
          . "$RoleInstallPath\Scripts\Update-AppPoolManagedFrameworkVersion.ps1"
-AppPoolName:"MSExchangeOWAAppPool" -Version:"v4.0";
          . "$RoleInstallPath\Scripts\Update-AppPoolManagedFrameworkVersion.ps1"
-AppPoolName:"MSExchangeOWACalendarAppPool" -Version:"v4.0";
        " was run: "Microsoft.Exchange.Data.InvalidObjectOperationException: Pro
perty DefaultDomain can't be set on this object because it requires the object t
o have version 0.1 (8.0.535.0) or later. The object's current version is 0.0 (6.
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.PropertyBag.set_Item(PropertyDefinition key, Objec
t value)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADPropertyBag.set_Item(PropertyDefinitio
n key, Object value)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ConfigurableObject.set_Item(PropertyDefinition pro
pertyDefinition, Object value)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.WebAppVirtualDirect
oryHelper.UpdateFromMetabase(ExchangeWebAppVirtualDirectory webAppVirtualDirecto
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.WebAppVirtualDirect
ory source, IConfigDataProvider dataProvider)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetOwaVirtualDirect
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.<ProcessRecord>b__b()
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.InvokeRetryableFunc(String fun
cName, Action func, Boolean terminatePipelineIfFailed)".

The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found
in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.
Microsoft OfficeExchangeInstallationMicrosoft 365Outlook

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment
Paul Vanatsky

8/22/2022 - Mon
Jason Crawford

Do you have any Exchange 2007 servers either in your environment or in AD?
Paul Vanatsky

I don't but thanks for replying. I actually ended up calling microsoft.. the call is going on 4 hours now .
Saif Shaikh

View this solution by signing up for a free trial.
Members can start a 7-Day free trial and enjoy unlimited access to the platform.
See Pricing Options
Start Free Trial
Ask your own question & get feedback from real experts
Find out why thousands trust the EE community with their toughest problems.
Paul Vanatsky

Thanks ! had two exchange 2010 old servers in AD, the tech removed them.  He is still working on version numbering issue.
This is the best money I have ever spent. I cannot not tell you how many times these folks have saved my bacon. I learn so much from the contributors.
Paul Vanatsky

Thank you for the replies and 2003 remnants in AD turned out to be the issue.
Not sure why after running AD prep and schema prep moving from  2003-20010 and then to 20013.
This is the first time this issue has raised it's head. 5 hours later and it's fixed .