Points of My Scenario:
1. I have a named SQL instance in a test environment on VM1.
2. An application server on VM2 uses the VM1 SQL instance.
3. The application regularly fails to connect to VM1 SQL instance.
4. The failure is always resolved by restarting the SQL Server Browser service on VM1.
5. Before restarting this SQL Server Browser service, its status is always "Started" in the services console and its state is always "Running" in the SQL Server Configuration Manager console (i.e., the GUI is misleading here).
6. Two repeating "Application" event log errors appear: (a) "The SQLBrowser processing of requests against a particular IP address has encounted a critical error. Processing of requests on this address has been halted" and (b) "The SQLBrowser service was unable to process a client request."
QUESTION: What can I do to resolve this repeating failure of the SQL Server Browser service?