troubleshooting Question

How do I fix error 0x8004010F when trying to download Offline Address Book?

Avatar of Francisco Palacio
Francisco Palacio asked on
Exchange* Outlook 2019* global address listOutlook
7 Comments1 Solution23 ViewsLast Modified:
The error message:
Task '<email address> reported error (0x8004010F); 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.'

Exchange server is Exchange 2013 in Hybrid configuration - planning to migrate users to Microsoft 365.
CU23 is installed on the Exchange 2013 server.
Earlier I got the error and then after about 10 minutes, when I tried to download OAB again, the download worked.
Now, trying to download OAB has been consistently failing with the error above.

PC OS & Outlook versions:
Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1081) - check updates show 'You're up to date last checked: Today 4:57am
Outlook version 2019 from Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019 - en-us 16.0.10376.20033

NSLOOKUP from workstation
autodiscover.<domain name> points to the Exchange 2013 server

EXCHANGE 2013 server
Get-OabVirtualDirectory appears to have the correct information
Get-MailboxDatabase | ft Name, *book* shows that all databases are tagged with \Default Offline Address List (Ex2013)
Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | where {$_.PersistedCapabilities -like "*OAB*"} | ft Name, Servername, Database responds with:
Name                                                 ServerName                  Database
----                                                 ----------                  --------
 SystemMailbox{bb558c35-97f1-4cb9-8ff7-d53741dc928c} <exchange 2013 server name> System Mailbox Database

What other configurations can I check?
The error occurs with many users (I have not determined if there are users that do not experience the error).

Thank you.
Francisco PalacioPresident

Our community of experts have been thoroughly vetted for their expertise and industry experience.

Log in to continue reading
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform for $9.99/mo
View membership options
Unlock 1 Answer and 7 Comments.
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
See how we're fighting big data
The Value of Experts Exchange in My Daily IT Life

Experts Exchange (EE) has become my company's go-to resource to get answers. I've used EE to make decisions, solve problems and even save customers. OutagesIO has been a challenging project and... Keep reading >>


Owner of Outages.IO
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Member Since 2016
Join a full scale community that combines the best parts of other tools into one platform.
Unlock 1 Answer and 7 Comments.
View membership options
“All of life is about relationships, and EE has made a virtual community a real community. It lifts everyone's boat.”
William Peck

Member since 2004