Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of CtsRutland
CtsRutland

asked on

Outlook, Office365, authentication & autodiscovery problem

I'm trying to add a Microsoft365 email account to a new  Outlook profile (installed & up to date from Microsoft365). The default Outlook profile does not sync for office365 email address a@domain1.com. I tried making a new Outlook profile to test.


I successfully added the problem address to the new profile2 - a@domain1.com

When I  go to add another address, a@domain2.com,  it fails


The Outlook autoconfiguration test runs, but does not prompt me for the  domain2.com user's login details. It shows:

http status=401   (that's access denied I think)

autodiscover to https://outlook.office365.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml failed.


Testing autoconfiguration with a 3rd office365 email address (x@domain3.com, say) on the problem pc, I'm prompted to log in, and it succeeds.


Repeating the failed domain2.com autoconfiguration test on a different computer, 1) I'm prompted for the username & password, and 2) it works fine.


So there is a problem related to authenticating for this particular domain2 address on this particular laptop . It has been used before, so there may be remnants somewhere. 


I have removed everything related to this account and Microsoft/Office logins in Credential manager. 


I'm not sure what else to try. Uninstalling and reinstalling Office did not help.


Thank you, whoever replies!


ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of Jazz Marie Kaur
Jazz Marie Kaur
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Avatar of CtsRutland
CtsRutland

ASKER

Thanks. I'm not sure SARA specifically fixed it - I'd tried it before. But after repeating a few things I'd tried before it suddenly worked. A tip I found to close Outlook, open Word, "sign out", and then go back into Outlook seemed to help too. I'd done that before as well mind you.