Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of lloving
lloving

asked on

Imported Outlook contacts appear corrupted

Trying to import Outlook contacts from a csv file generated by the export function in AOL Mail.

The actual import runs smoothly and appears to populate the target instance of Outlook as expected. However email addresses selected from those imported contact records cause the email message to be rejected and the message is not sent. This happens as soon as you hit the send button. 

I have tested this on two different computers and on two different Outlook profiles.

I have opened the CSV file in Excel and saved it as a spreadsheet and then saved it again as a csv file. Same result. 

The csv and xls versions look normal in Excel.

Avatar of David Johnson, CD
David Johnson, CD
Flag of Canada image

When you do an import there is an option to map columns go through your mappings and ensure they are correct.
Avatar of lloving
lloving

ASKER



The default mappings appear to properly fill in the fields in Contacts when viewed from within Outlook.
Avatar of lloving

ASKER

By way of a test I abandoned the default mappings and remapped the related fields. Imported again with the same result.
Avatar of lloving

ASKER

When I test the mappings from the Map Custom Fields the email addresses look like this.

User generated image
Verify the source csv is in UTF-8 encoding, i.e. by opening it with Notepad++. Notepad++ can also convert it.
Avatar of lloving

ASKER

The csv file is in UTF-8 encoding
As Michael suggested - try opening the CSV in Notepad++ (it's free) and look for the malformatting there. It may well not show in Excel but likely will in N++

Avatar of lloving

ASKER

Using Notepad## (Thanks for the suggestion Michael) I see no mal-formatted fields. If I highlight the email address text and do a lookup I get the expected response from Google.
Anyway try saving it as UTF-8 to a new file and try to import it.
Avatar of lloving

ASKER

I have tried saving as a copy in UTF-8 with no luck. Also saved a copy as ANSI with a csv extension, no luck.
You could try a search and replace for non ASCII characters.

In Notepad++ do a search and replace and use the following to search for: [^\x00-\x7F]+
 User generated image
Avatar of lloving

ASKER

The problem is the non-ASCII characters don't show up in NotePad##

All lines in the file look like this in Notepad##:
Bob,,smith,,,bobsmith@comcast.net,"home, primary",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Avatar of lloving

ASKER

This does not qualify as a solution but more of an apparent workaround.
During the Outlook Contact import process "Clear Mappings" and start over. Map each field you want imported. Specifically map the email address to the email(#) field not the email(#) address field. This worked in my test environment. Now to real life.
I'll follow up later
Avatar of lloving

ASKER

Contacts successfully imported using the process outlined in my previous post

​Issue resolved not solved. 
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of lloving
lloving

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial