This is a follow up question to one I posted just last week where none of our WSUS clients had reported a status in the past 30 days. After getting past the failed .NET patch on our (W2K19) WSUS server, every client is now reporting a status. The WSUS console does show that clients are in need of patches that are approved for install.
But the Win 10 clients I've checked show NO update history, and no patches needed despite the fact that the WSUS console says otherwise. I should note that the Win 10 clients I've checked have recently had O365 installed - with updates configured to be downloaded directly from Microsoft.
The couple of test servers I've checked DO show update histories, but they also fail to see the approved updates waiting for them on the WSUS server.
I've tried resetting a test WSUS client, but it does not resolve the issue. I wanted to post this now while I'm still pouring through event logs to see if anyone has seen this before.
I'll provide more details should I find any additional clues.