I'm using a software program called "MiniTools ShadowMaker" that allows me to clone a hard drive to a solid-state drive. I've been using this with several dozen upgrades and it works fine. I have used others such as CloneZilla and others, but this one works well.
Every so often when I try to clone a larger hard drive to a smaller SSD, I get the following message - "the selected target disk is too small to clone to the source disk" and then it fails to continue.
- In this scenario, I have a 500 GB hard drive that's only using about 92 GB of disk space.
- The new drive is a new 256 GB SSD
- in the past, I've always been able to clone a larger disk to a smaller SSD. However, a few times I've seen the same error message and ended up having to get the same size SSD.
- I guess I need to understand why it works on some systems and not other systems.
- All my systems are running Windows 10