Given a particular IP address, the IP lookup tool will return:
Uses for an IP Lookup Tool
- The hostname, IP, or domain belonging to the entry
- The organization the IP address is registered to
- Organization's abuse and technical contacts
- Geolocation information - where the IP is likely to have originated from. This can include country, region/state, and city.
- Figure out where malicious internet activity is coming from - Whether you're under a DOS attack, or you've noticed some suspicious login activity, you can use the IP Lookup tool to get a sense of where the source of the activity is coming from.
- Network Debugging - Your network is a little bit (or a lot!) sluggish, and you've noticed heavy traffic to a particular IP address. The IP Lookup tool can give you some valuable hints on what type of traffic is slowing down your network.
This product includes GeoLite2 data created by MaxMind, available from http://www.maxmind.com