1. Start with a normal styled element, such as a div.
2. Define its "background-color" property as "rgba (255, 255, 255, .5)
3. The numbers in the parentheses symbolize the Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha Transparency values of the color
4. To find the RGB values of a color, you can use Adobe Photoshop in RGB Color mode and use the Color window (Windows > Color)
5. The RGB combination (255, 255, 255) indicates white; (0, 0, 0) would indicate black
6. The Alpha value is for transparency and must be a number from 0 through 1; 0 indicates complete transparency while 1 indicates a completely opaque element so .5 will be 50% transparent
7. Using different numbers for the R, G, and/or B values will result in a colored translucent background