1. The first step is to acquire the necessary license to enable this feature
2. Click the Backup Exec symbol in the upper left corner of the screen to launch the settings window. Then go to Installations and Licensing, and Install Options and Licenses on this Backup Exec Server.
3. On the licenses page, enter the purchased serial number and click Add (warning, not adding a serial number will enable a trial for 60 days), and click Next
4. On the options screen, locate and check the box for Agent for VMware and Hyper-V, and click Next
5. Select any additional languages other than English if desired, and select Next
6. Review the installation summary and look for any errors that will prevent the installation of the product. If everything is correct, click Install. The installation takes approximately 10 minutes.
7. Once the installation is completed, select Backup and Restore at the top of the home page and select Add VMware Server
8. Enter the name or IP address of the ESXi server and provide an optional description if desires, then select Next
9. On the system logon account, select either the root name or service account for the ESXi server. If you do not see it, then select Add/Edit and add the account. Then select Finish.
10. Double-click on the new server, and then click Test\Edit Credentials in the tool bar to verify the account can properly access the server
11. To add the first backup job, select Backup from the menu bar. The Backup to Disk (or to the other destination of choice).
12. Enter the desired name for the backup job. Click Edit under the job properties and remove the incremental backup. VMware image backups should only be full backup jobs.
13. If the selection of certain virtual machines is desires, then click Edit on server side of the backup job and uncheck any unneeded machines. Once the job has been configured as desired, click OK
14. Perform an initial test backup by selecting the newly created job and then choosing Run Next Backup Job Now from the tool bar