This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of configuring basic necessities in order to use the 2010 version of Data Protection Manager. These include storage, agents, and protection jobs.
1. Launch Data Protection Manager from the desktop icon
2. Select the Management tab at the top
3. Select the Disks tab, then the Add option in the far right panel
4. Select from the available disks. These must be empty, raw volumes that contain no partitions. Once selected, click on the Add radio button the OK. Answer Yes to convert the drive to a dynamic disk.
5. To install agents onto the systems to be protected, select the Agents tab along the top menu. Then select Install from the options in the far right panel.
6. There are two options. One is in the event the agents are preinstalled; the other is an option to Install Agents. This option will “push” the agents to the desired computers.
7. If Install Agents is selected, you are presented with a server list. Select the desired severs and then click the Add radio button. Once the servers have been added, click Next.
8. Enter the credentials of an account with authorization on the remote system. It is highly recommended to use a dedicated service account for this authentication. Once entered, click Next.
9. Select whether or not the server should automatically reboot in necessary
10. Review the server list to be installed, then click Install. The installation will then begin.
11. To add a server where the agent has already been installed, select the Agents tab on the top menu, the Add in the right panel. From the options, select Attach Agents. Then click Next.
12. Select the servers where the agent has been installed, the click the Add radio button. Click Next.
13. Enter the credentials (should be a service account) with authorization to add and configure the remote server. Then click Next.
14. Review the summary page, then click Attach. The system is then added.
15. Next, select the Protection tab from the top menu, then click Next
16. Depending on the desired type of backup, select either Desktop or Server, then click Next
17. Click the “+” next to the desired server, then select from the options you would like to back up. Once all of the selections have been made, click Next.
18. Provide a name for the protection group. Also, you can either leave the default of disk storage, or if there is an attached tape drive, select “long-term” protection. Then click Next.
19. Select a retention period and either accept the default time the system performs a full backup, or click the Modify radio button to make adjustments. Once the settings have been made, click Next.
20. Review the disk storage options, ensuring there is enough space. Note: If you get a space message error, ensure that you did not create a partition on the drive. If so, delete it.
21. If you have a replication partner, the configure replication. If not, then select Manually
22. If you have a replica server, you can chose to perform consistency check on it, if not, then unselect and click Next
23. Review the summary page and then click the Create Group radio button