This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of configuring their Windows Server 2012 domain controller to synchronize its time with a trusted, external resource.
1. Use Google, Bing, or other preferred search engine to locate trusted NTP time servers. These are typically provided by government or other network organizations.
2. Log onto the domain controller with administrative credentials and launch a command prompt
3. Stop the time service with the following command: net stop w32time
4. Enter the following command to configure the NTP time servers: w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:”time server 1, time server 2, time server 3” then hit enter. The command should complete successfully.
5. Inform the domain controller that these are trusted server with the following command: w32tm /config /reliable:yes
6. Restart the time service: net start w32time
7. Review the results by entering: w32tm /query /configuration
8. Ensure the settings are the desired ones. Then close the command prompt. The NTP servers have now been configured.