1. Go to your WordPress login page. This will look like the following: mywebsite.com/wp-login.php
2. Establish that you have a lot of comment spam in the Comments section of your Dashboard
3. Go to Add New under the Plugins tab and search for Akismet. Install and activate.
4. Click on the Akismet plugin and click on Get Akismet Key. On the AKismet website, click on Get API Key.
5. Fill out the form. Select the type of account you would need for your site. (Personal is used as an example).
6. Fill out contact info and receive the API KEY. Copy the key
7. Go to the AKkismet Plugin and click on “I already have key” and paste the API key.
8. Go back to Comments section of Dashboard and click “Check for Spam”
9. Clear remaining spam manually by making it as spam.