Windows update download problem.

vitalev88 used Ask the Experts™
One of my customers servers is running Server 2016.  There was a Windows update the end of this month, it was update KB4091664.  2018-10 Update for Windows Server 2016 for X-64 -based Systems.  it downloaded up to 95% and just sat there.  So, I killed the update process and restarted the Server.

Last night, I wanted to perform the January updates and again the downloads got to 95%.  The server just sat there for 7 hours.  So, I killed the update process and restarted the Server.

I hope I'm not the only person have this problem.  Attached is a screen shot.

Thanks for your help.
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
Daniel PineaultPresident / Owner CARDA Consultants Inc.
Distinguished Expert 2018

What about renaming your SoftwareDistribution folder, running the update process again to force windows to rebuild it from scratch?

You may also wish to review How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
ITSysTechSenior Systems Administrator

I have found that you only need to delete everything in your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\   folder to fix this type of issue.
IT Support Professional
1. go to services, stop the windows update
2. go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ and delete everything
3. restart the windows update service.

this will cause the windows to redownload the file, so in case there is any problem in the previous download, it will download a fresh one.
PMI ACP® Project Management

Prepare for the PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)® exam, which formally recognizes your knowledge of agile principles and your skill with agile techniques.

Another workaround might be to just manually download the file in a browser, copy it somewhere, then run it.

You can grab it here:
DevAdminSystem Engineer | .NET Developer | Microsoft MVP | Technical Speaker

Try reset the componets of windows update clinet on the computer
You can use my script WUReset.cmd that I share on my GitHub:


I stopped Windows Update service, deleted all files from the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ directory, restarted Windows Update service, and now the download has began to full the directory again.

I'll try the Windows Update again early next week.

I'll let you know the outcome.  Hopefully, this fixes it.



I'm trying to perform the Windows update again and now the system shows the two updates are available, but it's been downloading for 1 and half hours and it's still at 0%.  I look in the download directory and it seems to be downloading.  That least the time stamp is changing.  

What to do now?


Update.  After an hour and a half, I look at the screen and it was installing the updates.  All fine now, all updates completed.
I have customers with Server 2008 & 2012 and an update takes about 20 minutes, but Server 2016 can take hours.  Why so must slower.
DevAdminSystem Engineer | .NET Developer | Microsoft MVP | Technical Speaker

In Windows 2016 for the first execution of Windows Update sometimes is necessary force the use of the proxy configured in IE also for winhttp try this command (if you you a proxy on the server):

netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial