Know simple techniques to insert page numbers in Adobe PDF files. Learn both online as well as offline solution to add page number to PDF. Complete steps are given to to carry out bates numbering task efficiently.
Inserting page numbers in PDF files not only enhances manageability but also makes them to look professional. With numbered pages, the file appears more organized and it becomes easier to search for a particular page. The size and the volume of the file can be easily detected as well as its sequence can be maintained. However, when we insert page numbers in Adobe PDF files we make the document more professional. Many law firms are using this bates numbering technique to make document professional.
Moreover, if it is required to print the whole document, it is easier to pile-up the pages and keep them in sequential order when page numbers are assigned on the file. There are many ways to insert number on PDF pages and some of the best ways are mentioned herein.
Option 1: PDF Bates Numberer: A Commercial Tool to Add Page Number to PDF
- PDF Bates Numberer, a commercial tool can be downloaded by following the link http://www.pdfware.org/pdf-bates-numberer.html
- When the tool is been downloaded on the machine, install it to start the procedure to insert bates numbers in PDF.
- After the installation task is completed successfully, launch the tool and the following window will appear.
- Click on the ‘Generate Bates’ option.
- Select any one among the given three alternatives.
- The tool provides an option to add single or multiple PDF files to its panel. It also offers to remove files; adding folder; move up or move down within the panel.
- Click on the ‘Add File(s) button to upload PDF document to the tool panel. If it is required to remove selected file click on the file and then select ‘Remove’ button. However, to remove all the displayed files, click on the ‘Remove All’ button.
- Provide appropriate values for the fields mentioned in the tool panel.
- The tool provides the option to enter additional text to be appeared along with Bates numbers. It also enables to adjust the position for Bates numbers on the pages.
- Next, the position for the numbers on the pages can be aligned using the ‘Bates No. Placement’ option.
- Font size and color can also be adjusted by providing appropriate settings to the associated boxes.
Custom color scheme can be selected for providing more defined settings.
- The resultant file can be stored at desired location by providing accurate destination path.
- At last, tool will preview all the provided setting as ‘Summary’ and if everything appears to be fine, select the ‘Generate’ button.
- The tool offers additional setting for adding page numbers to PDF document.
- It offers to remove encryption and further insert bates numbers in PDF.
- Offers to add suffix, prefix as well as additional text to the PDF document.
- Adobe Acrobat installation is not required for to insert page numbers in Adobe PDF files .
- It does not generate instant preview when modifications are made to the settings.
- This is a paid tool and users need to invest upon it to add page number to PDF.
Option 2: A-PDF Number- Online Tool available at http://www.a-pdf.com
- A-PDF Number, a freeware tool can be downloaded by following the link http://www.a-pdf.com/number/download.htm.
- After the completion of tool downloading, install it to initiate the process to insert page number in Adobe PDF files.
- Launch the tool and the initial window will appear as:
- Click on the ‘Browser’ button to locate and upload the PDF file to the tool panel and the selected file will be appeared in the box named ‘File Name’ as shown in this figure.
- Further, the numbering style can be selected from the given list of options. The tool offers three different types of numbering the document. This includes numbers and roman numerals that can be applied to the document by selecting the associated radio button.
- While applying Bates numbering to the PDF pages, it is mandatory to assign positioning to the numbers. The tool provides three different options for positioning the numbers in the header or footer section of the document. These options include ‘Left bottom’; ‘Middle bottom’ and ‘Right bottom’ settings. By default, Middle bottom setting is provided in the tool panel.
As soon as the positioning is changed, it will be displayed in the preview pane.
- Default color scheme for the numbers is black but it can be changed to any selected alternative by clicking on the icon available with ‘Color’. Here, the default black color is been changed to ‘Red’ and this can be seen in the preview pane.
- Color scheme and the shades can be altered by clicking on the ‘Define Custom Colors’ option. Here, color settings and effects can be modified by adjusting the range provided in ‘Hue’; ‘Sat’ and ‘Lum’ alternatives.
- Additional text can be added to the numbers and this will appear as Prefix in the resultant files. This can be done by entering an appropriate text to the ‘Prefix’ box. Here, Page no. is been added to be displayed as prefix, so the resultant file will generate output as ‘Page no. 1’.
- Next, click on the ‘Process’ button and this will further ask you for selecting the destination storage location for resultant file. Provide appropriate location for file storage and click on ‘Save’ button. The resultant file is saved at the desired location on storage media.
- The tool can be downloaded free of cost and the GUI is simpler to understand.
- Adobe Acrobat is not required to for adding PDF page number.
- Compatible with Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and latest versions.
- Quite incompetent performance when executing on a large volume file.
- Processes single PDF at a time and does not support batch processing.
Both the tools are among the best ways to insert page numbers in Adobe PDF files but both have their own advantages and limitations. A-PDF number is a free product but offers limited options while adding numbers to the PDF files. On the contrary, PDF Bates Numberer is paid software but offers additional and extended features to insert PDF page number.
In addition, the latter is available in Personal, Business and Enterprise Licenses, so a user can select either according to his own requirements. As a whole, users can choose either of the given tools as per usage requirements and recommendations to add page number to PDF documents.